Transportation for Researchers

M2 Shuttle service

The M2 Shuttle provides free service for Harvard students to the Longwood Medical Area and MIT.  Click here for more information and the schedule.


If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, don't hesitate to contact James Poolner or Irina Cashen, whose contact info can be found below.

MBTA T Pass Program

The Office of Undergraduate Science Education encourages Harvard undergraduates to pursue science research opportunities at laboratories that best suit their interests, regardless of location.  Realizing that the cost of a T pass can quickly add up, we have created a fund to help defray transportation expenses for students who are working in off-campus research laboratories conducting research in the life and physical sciences that are not serviced by the M2 shuttle. Eligible laboratories include those located at Massachusetts General Hospital, McLean Hospital, the Broad Institute, and the Arnold Arboretum. This program supports subway and bus transportation on the MBTA; other transportation options are outside the scope of this program.

How do you participate in the T pass program?

  • If you are currently enrolled in a departmental research course (e.g. MCB 91r,  SCRB 99, Neurobiology 98, etc) and your laboratory is located off campus and not at the HMS quad or Longwood Medical area, you are automatically eligible; however, you need to complete and submit a transportation form (see below) monthly.
  • If you are not currently enrolled in a departmental research course, but conduct regularly scheduled onsite research and your laboratory is located off campus and not at the HMS quad, fill out the transportation form (link below) and turn it in to one of the science education offices.
  • All students need to submit monthly transportation forms. Forms need to be completed, submitted, and received by the office each month by the 15th of that month in order for student's expenses to be reimbursed/supported for that month.  Late  submissions are not eligible for reimbursment.

Who is eligible for the program?

Any student conducting Fall (September 1 to December 15) or Spring term (February 1 to April 30) research in the Life and Physical Sciences at an off-campus, MBTA-accessible laboratory is eligible, regardless of year in school or concentration.

Can I receive a T pass for summer research or Winter Break?

The T pass program is funded for term-time research only.  We cannot accomodate requests for funding for summer research (May through August) or Winter Break (January).

How do I obtain a pass or get reimbursed for my T pass?

You should determine how often you go to the lab. 

  • If you go four times or more per week throughout the semester, you should buy a monthly T pass at any T station for $90.00.  Save your receipt and bring it to Lisa Fountain (Bauer 205), James Poolner (BioLabs Room 1082C), or Irina Cashen (Fairchild 095) for reimbursement. Reimbursement is not possible without a dated, legible printed receipt.
  • If you go fewer than four times weekly, visit one of the science education offices (see below) to pick up a prepaid Charlie Card, which will allow you to ride the T for 22 one-way trips, and should last you three or more weeks.  When you have used up the Charlie Card for your research trips, you can stop by the office to pick up a new one. Use of these cards is for research-related trips only.

Where should I go to get a CharlieCard or be reimbursed for a T-Pass that I purchased?

[note: application is only open Sep 1–Dec 15, and Feb 1–Apr 30.]
Please fill out the Application for the T-Pass Program to arrange the time and place to pick up a pass or submit a reimbursement form. Our three offices are:

Application for the T Pass Program [note: application is only open Sep 1–Dec 15, and Feb 1–Apr 30.]

Questions about the Program?

Contact one of the staff contacts listed above for procedural details, questions and suggestions.